Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone My Review
About the book
True love is on the line in this charming, laugh-out-loud rom-com - created specifically for the audio format!
Paint your toes. Pick up the wrong coffee and bagel order. Drive from Brooklyn to Jersey in traffic so slow you want to tear your hair out. It’s amazing all the useless things I can accomplish while on hold for three hours with customer service. Three hours when I should be getting the Date-in-a-Box website ready to launch at the big business expo in a few days. Except my shiny new website is glitching, and my inner rage-monster is ready to scorch some earth...when he finally picks up. Not the robot voice I expected but a real live human named Kal. He’s surprisingly helpful and really knows his stuff, even if he’s a little awkward...in an adorable way.
And suddenly I’m flirting with him? And I think he’s flirting back.
And suddenly it’s been hours, and we’re still on the phone talking and ordering each other takeout while he troubleshoots my website.
And suddenly we’re exchanging numbers and sending texts and DMs every day, leaving voice mails (who even does that anymore?!).
And suddenly I’m wondering if it’s possible for two people to fall in love at first talk.
Because I’m falling...hard.
Charming romantic comedy that begins when a frustrating three-hour customer service hold turns into an unexpected connection.Overview and PlotThe Premise: Protagonist Vera is stuck in terrible traffic after picking up the wrong coffee and bagel order, trying to fix her glitchy "Date-in-a-Box" website before a big expo.The Meet-Cute: When she finally gets off hold, she reaches a kind, slightly awkward customer service representative named Cal.The Connection: What starts as troubleshooting turns into hours of talking, ordering takeout together, and eventually daily texts, DMs, and phone calls as they fall for each other.Format and ReleaseAudio Original: The story originally debuted in October 2020 as an Audible Originals audio drama narrated by Luci Christian and Neil Hellegers. It was nominated for an Audie Award for Best Romance in 2021.Print and E-book: The story has also been published in print and digital formats (kickstarting her Love Lines series) through publishers like Dial Press and Penguin Random House.
And I thought
An absolutely charming book. RomComs are not my normal go to. In fact Author Angela Ruth Strong's Love Off Script Series is the only RomComs I have read.
Author Cara Bastone has lured me fully 'In'.
Actually I only took the chance because
Call Me Maybe was free on my Audible subscription.
So I gave it a try.
I am glad I did.
If it had been a print copy I could have easily said "I couldn't put it down".
And easily said "A 5 Star Read".
This Author is now on my favorites list and I have this series on my Wish List.
Vera was just Charming as was Kal.
Honestly I expected this book to be silly.
It was in fact everything but.
Both characters were fun and funny.
Sweet and a bit Sassy.
Honest and Loyal.
There is a small cast. They were all easy to like.
The entire story happened in only a few days.
For me this was a super fast read. I am grateful I have the audio copy. I didn't have to put it down!
I must include my thoughts about the covers.
Admittedly I am a Cover Junkie.
I loved the Audio version cover.
It is charming. Especially including Cal's White Cat. Who BTW way was pretty snarky.
I absolutely adorded the twists at the end.
There were 2. I saw neither coming.
If you love just a fun read you Must snatch up a copy of Call Me Maybe.
My Review will appear on all my s.m. platforms and Goodreads.
I have not met Amazon's new purchase criteria to post reviews to the site.
Buy the book
Available on Amazon


Comments
Post a Comment